Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Longest Day Ever

Seriously, yesterday was one of the longest days ever. So I know I exaggerate a lot, and I know I've had way longer days, but yesterday was just awful waiting.

So Mom had an appointment with the surgeon's PA to get her staples removed at 9 AM. We also had to pack all of our stuff (we did most of it on Monday - Labor Day after watching like 90 million hours of Jon & Kate + 8) that morning, get it in the car and check out before the appointment. All of that went smoothly except for getting things in the car neatly organized. I used to have really bad OCD about organization. I realized years ago that I was stressing out the people around me way too much and learned to chill out. Well, I still wanted the car at least a little decent, but...we did what we could. Of course, Mom shouldn't carry anything over 10 lbs so I had to keep an eye on her.

The PA had told us to come closer to 9:30 and to expect to wait who knows how long. She told us to bring a couple of books and plenty of entertainment. We actually waited for her less time than we ever have. After she removed all 30 staples and answered all of my 74 million questions, we were done with her. We just needed to go to the pain department and have them write a new prescription for Mom's absolutely necessary pain medicine...

...that turned into the worst experience we've had at MD. Honestly, it's been great there. Sure, the reason for being there really stinks, but considering the circumstances, it's been a great place. All of the staff from the cooks in the cafeteria to the 'highest' of doctors have been incredibly gracious and kind...that was the case until yesterday. To make a VERY long story short, we ended up waiting for about 5 hours for a certain department to finally tell us they couldn't do anything about what we'd given them. If they had just told us that very thing from the very beginning, they wouldn't have had to put up with my near-yelling. It's one thing to make me wait a couple of hours. It's quite another to make my mom, who's still way recovering from this ridiculously complicated surgery, wait 5 hours. I wasn't just upset. I was so angry that I almost lost it with those people. And you know how it could've been avoided? Had Mr. Front Desk Man in that department listened to the entire situation, we all would have been a bit happier at the end of the day. So again, long story short, when they finally told us what they could and couldn't do, we just simply went to the pharmacy, and they took care of everything in 45 minutes. I should have done that from the very beginning, but I honestly that that what happened would have happened had we gone to the pharmacy first. I know, none of this is making sense to you, but in my head, I get it.

We finally made it to the LJ around 7:15. I was so mentally exhausted that I couldn't open the mobile computer to blog.

Oh, we got some great news about the cats. My mom's cousin emailed us yesterday and said she'd love to take the cats temporarily until we find a permanent home for them. She also volunteered to proactively help us find a home for them since our plates are still a little full trying to get Mom's house ready (their AC broke and there's just stuff to do) for her to return and doctor's appointments like every other day it seems. Anyway, then this morning I received a promising email about a possible permanent home for the cats. I can't tell you how relieving it is to us! I hated the thought of the SPCA.

Oh, and by the way, the surgeon's PA says that Mom is looking really great. Sure, she lost a little weight, but it was nothing compared to before, and she's just progressing so well. SERIOUS WOW! We're super excited about how she's doing and crazy thankful for it and for your prayers.

I'll try more later...

No comments: