Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pain, Pain Go Away

So a couple of hours ago they realized that my mom's pain wasn't being controlled very well at all. She was pretty much in agony, and I'm very surprised they even let me in to see her then. Let me just say that nobody should have to see anyone experience that much pain. Let me also say that nobody should have to suffer or watch someone suffer from this thing called cancer. The thing is that we live in this crazy, sinful world in which there are ridiculous diseases and sicknesses. There's nothing we can do about that. But I'm just glad that we have this incredibly merciful Savior who gives us the grace to live in such a place.

...but back to what I was saying...the pain control wasn't really control at all. I don't think 'manage' is even a term to use for it. So they've decided to do this thing called epidural analgesia. Basically a catheter is just next to Mom's spinal cord giving her a bunch of stuff - to numb her abdominal area and some opioids as well. Even though it wasn't technically visiting hours, they let me in to see her after the procedure for the catheter just so I'd be more at ease (after having seen her in so much pain). During visiting hours the rest of the family went in for their chance. It's cute - the things people say when they're out of it, like "Thank you for praying and for your parents..."

Now is the road to recovery from this. Please pray that the pain will continue to be manged for real and that her recovery would be a speedy, speedy, SPEEDY one. Did I mention speedy? Yes, we're in a hurry for her to be better.

Friends, I appreciate all of you. I was such the nutty basket case this morning, and I really appreciate you gals who listened while I boo-hoooooooooooood and sent the most pessimistic text messages. God is the God of peace and keeps those in peace whose mind is stayed on Him because they trust in Him. I'm learning to do that like never before.

No comments: