Thursday, May 15, 2008

Into a Different Room

5:45 - Mom sleeps. She has been moved to a permanent room (out of ICU basically). Her goal is to walk 3 more times today (she's walked twice). We tried about an hour ago, and that didn't go so well. Her pain shot up like crazy, and we had to work hard and watch her agonize trying to get back in bed. The nurse gave her something that worked pretty quickly this time, so that's good. In the past, it took a while for that to work, so I'm hoping this means progress.

The ostomy nurses came to see us earlier to give us our first lesson emptying and changing the bag. All this medical stuff fascinates me more and more every day. I think I should have been a surgeon. I don't think I could do the nurse thing, but cutting and stapling people - that might be fun.

After a bit mom will have to wake up to try the walking thing again. As her surgeon came and told us earlier - the goal of total pain control is so that she can get up and move around, not sit or lay in bed. That can lead to many problems.

Can I just say how grateful I am to you? If you're reading this, most likely you are praying for us, and that means EVERYTHING! We know we're not in this alone, and that really is what keeps us all 'hanging in there.' I'm so grateful to have the friends and family I do who are so great to stand by us when we need it. THANK YOU for your love!

No comments: