Thursday, February 21, 2008

Update 2/21/08

Tomorrow we get to go home. After my mom's 8:30 appointment in the morning, we head home for the weekend...well, her home. Home to me is...well, it's strange...when I speak to the people in Kansas about 'home,' I'm speaking of my Texas roots and vise versa. That saying, "home is where the heart is," I guess I understand that a bit better. My heart is with my family, and that is home to me. I miss Nathan so much. I have a really great husband who has given me the freedom to come and go and be with my mom as much as I think is necessary. I just really miss him.

So back to my mom - both yesterday and today she had relatively 'good' days. The doctors continually express how well she's doing considering the circumstances. One of our main tasks now is to keep my mom's diet where they want it, meaning she must eat a specific amount of calories, protein and a minimum amount of fiber each day. With the help of fitday.com, tracking things isn't that bad (we use fitday to keep track of her nutrition and calorie intake not a weight-loss journal for her). Getting my mom to actually at over 1300 calories every single day is a different story. She does like to eat, but for several months hasn't had appetite. Her meals are also very small, so I'm doing my best to get her to snack. The fun thing is that she gets to snack on high-calorie foods that we healthy people wouldn't normally eat on a regular basis.

My aunt, Estrella, has also had some pretty good days (today & yesterday). She has more and more movement with her left limbs, and she was even able to walk a little today (with help, of course).

Every day is a new day. We don't know what it will bring - trouble, hardship, joy, strength...none of us know. I do know this - God's mercies are new every morning. He's here in our victories as well as our sorrows. We must come to a place in which we're able to thank Him in each and every circumstance. We must thank Him in the sunshine, and we must thank Him in the storm. If we knew no dryness, how could we love the rain?

No comments: