Thursday, February 14, 2008

Update 2/14/08

This has been one very long and crazy day. We were woken up around midnight last night by the phone. One of my uncles (my mom's brother) was calling to let us know that one of my aunts (my mom's older sister) had been life flighted to the hospital.

To make a very long story and a very long day short, my aunt had a couple of strokes and some injuries due to the strokes (we believe), and she was undergoing surgery all night long as well as earlier today. The surgeries were successful, but the doctors are still finding damage to her body, and...well, we're all trying to wrap our minds around some of the details leading up to it all. She's under heavy sedation, and they don't intend on waking her for a day or two still. There's a lot we're still trying to figure out right now. In the meantime, we're all concerned about her husband and their little girl, who we call Sweet Pea. Little Sweet Pea is 10 years old, and I'm sure so very confused about her mommy being as sick as she is and all of it happening so quickly and the way it did.

Upon hearing the news, my mom wanted to take off and be by her sister's side, but of course, that's out of the question right now. Fortunately, other family members are on their way to help. We don't know many details, but we do know that God spared the life of my aunt at this time for she could've had worse damage than what she already has. Things could've been much worse.

My mom hardly slept last night, and I was just concerned that the added stress would really aggravate her already weak stomach. She did have more nausea and stomach pain today, but she's doing better at this hour.

We (my mom & I) had some really sobering conversations today. Well, they were sobering, but they were really great. I learned a lot more about my family, my history, etc. I've always admired my mom for all of the sacrifices she made for me and my brother (and so many other people). I've always known she was a fighter. More than ever I am grateful for a mother who has faught so hard against so many odds for her family. I've said it before - she's one of the most selfless people I know. She resembles Jesus and His love more than anyone I know. Is she perfect? No (to me she almost is, though). Only Jesus is perfect. He's done a great work of grace in Her life, and I'm glad to be able to witness it. It wasn't that my mom spoke highly of herself during our conversations; it was that she humbly admitted her weaknesses and spoke so well and highly of others. She doesn't talk about love and forgiveness but humbly lives it.

No comments: