Saturday, February 16, 2008

Update 2/16/08

This past week was definitely a roller-coaster. Healthwise - my mom experienced some side effects from her treatments, but overall we're thankful that it wasn't worse. She's about 1/3 of the way into it, and THAT'S awesome news. That means she's COMPLETED 1/3 of this phase. Her energy declined and her nausea increased as the week went along, and her comfort level was just up and down. I think news of my aunt's health definitely took a toll on my mom, but even THAT could've been worse. My mom just knew that she really needed to 'deal' with the situation rather than allowing the stress of it make her sick. Stress and any kind of virus or sickness will only slow the progress of her treatments.

Speaking of my aunt (her name is Estrella by the way, which means star in Spanish)...well, it turns out that she had a major stroke, and it's a COMPLETE miracle that she's still with us. The stroke caused some brain damage, wich in turn is causing paralysis in her left arm and her left leg. She has, however, been able to move her left toes. She is still heavily sedated, but the doctors did remove oxygen (so she is breathing on her own), and they also removed her feeding tube. Because she's still been sedated, she's been pretty out of it. She has spoken with the family who is there and even over the phone with my mom for a brief moment. We don't think she's aware of how she got to the hospital. There was quite a bit of trauma, and the matter is more delicate and complicated than I can explain at the time, but I do ask that you say a prayer for her as you pray for my mom.

Please pray for:
My mom's nausea and stomach to stay settled, especially during these stressful days.
My mom's energy level.
My mom's appetite - she gained 1 lb last week, but lost it at the end with all the crazyness. She HAS to eat and does because she can't do her treatments otherwise, but she's NEVER hungry. She's tiny as it is so losing weight is NOT an option.
Yes, we know to expect reactions to the treatments. I mean, all kinds of poisons going into anyone's body will wreak havoc. We know to expect the nausea, diarrhea, etc.; HOWEVER, we also know that God has already been gracious in subsiding some of the side effects, and we want that to continue.
Please also pray for my aunt, Estrella, and her health. I will update on her as much as I am able to do so.

No comments: