Sunday, February 17, 2008

Update 2/17/08

So during the week we stay in Houston at an RV park that's about 1o minutes away from MD Anderson. I've been meaning to take pictures, but last week was pretty hectic. I'll do that soon. I think I've mentioned it before, but in case I haven't, most of the people staying at the park are also there for treatment at the hospital. It's amazing that this little place is right in the middle of Houston. It's definitely been a blessing to us as my mom's house is actually over an hour away from the hospital.

Photobucket
(Mom and me on Valentine's Day)

If my mom has been feeling well enough during the weekends, she wants to come HOME. We're grateful for the convenience of the RV Park, but there's just no place like home. My mom is used to open spaces, and even though the RV we're using is decent sized (not huge, but not tiny), she feels cramped and chlostrophobic by the end of the week. We came home on Friday after her last treatment and doctors' appointments and will head back tomorrow morning since her treatments are later in the day tomorrow.

Today she wasn't as tired as she was yesterday, but I have a feeling she will be by the time the night is over. She's been working on 'work' stuff, and I'm pretty sure it wears her down. The thing about my mom is that she doesn't know how not to work. She can't just sit still. I can't remember a time when she could just sit and enjoy a movie. She'd grab something to do or would end up falling asleep. She is, however, trying to be wise about how much to do. She understands that there's more stress on her now with all that's happening with her sister. She's trying to make sure she takes care of herself because she knows that's what she needs to do. My mom is the helper of her family. Well, there are others, but my mom was the one who was there when anyone needed anything. By anyone and anything I really mean that. She's used to jumping and doing when there's a crisis. At this point she knows she can't do anything for her sister or anyone else unless she's well herself.

As for my aunt, she's doing okay. There seems to be a problem with her vision in her left eye, but we believe she'll be out of ICU as early as tonight. The family is thinking about having her transfered to Houston because there are family members here who can all help care for her and help with their little girl. We're all hoping that can take place soon.

No comments: