Wednesday, March 31, 2010

About that...

I love it that I can always feel at home at my brother's house. It's a given that most of the time most people will feel at home at the parent's house, but I love it that I can feel that way with my brother as well. What I don't assume, however, is that I can make myself at home anywhere and everywhere. Now, it's true that if you visit my place or wherever, people want you to feel comfortable and 'at home.' That's the reason we tell people, "Make yourself at home." I mean that completely and very sincerely if I tell you that. AND if you tell ME to make myself at home, I will probably do just that. HOWEVER, I won't be presumptuous about it and just walk in your front door without knocking. I won't just open your fridge and yank things out. And I won't act like I live there or even practically live there without sharing some of the responsibility of caring for your kids, helping you cook, or do some chores. I find that selfish, totally inconsiderate, and completely rude. It's one thing for me to make myself at home with you; it's quite another to take advantage of you. And please forgive me for the times I've done this.

No comments: