Thursday, January 08, 2009

'Tis the Season to be Pregnant

Life has drastically changed the past 2 months. Nathan & I moved to Dallas shortly after my last blog. I had planned on driving my mom up to Greenville, but she didn't feel she had recovered well enough to work 8-hr days. I'm proud of her for making that call and not pushing herself too early, something she's good at doing. During that time she decided she couldn't permanently move to Greenville. She and her husband didn't really think that he could pack up his business that quickly, and she would've had to live there alone. Too, the rest of the family lives in the Gulf Coast area, and she wants to be able to spend more and more time with her grandbabies. She will still work for the same company, but she'll work mostly from her home in El Campo. She'll travel to Greenville as needed.

Thanksgiving - Nathan & I went to the last Cowboys game that will be held at Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving Day (or any holiday). Next year they'll be at the brand new stadium in Arlington. We had a great time, and I would've taken pictures, but we've yet to replace the broken camera. We had AMAZING seats, thanks to our friend, Andy, and we sat next to some dudes that kept us laughing...AND they bought me a hat and Nathan some food because they felt bad about inconveniencing us literally every 7 minutes when they got up to use the facilities (we had the isle seats). We told them the gifts weren't necessary, but when someone insists, take it.

Christmas - since I was helping out at an office during the holidays, we stayed home and did our own thing. We had wanted to volunteer by serving meals at a soup kitchen, but I woke up with the yuckies...because I am now with child. We got to surprise our families with that great news on Christmas Day and little by little are passing the news on to our friends. So you may or may not have heard the news by now. I don't even know who reads this anymore. It's like this - you invite people to read your blogs, they do, they get bored but will still read them every once in a while. Then if you stop for a while, it's over. In our family bad news and gossip gets around quickly, but if it's good news, it takes a while for the word to spread. Isn't that just like us...humans?

Anyway, I'm due in late August. We're planning on a mid-wife and already have some great references. I think I'll begin calling them within the next couple of weeks. It's funny - it's like the home-birthing community is its own separate ...community. I don't even know how to explain it. My home-birthing friends and I think it's totally and completely normal and natural to give birth at home. The ones who don't will be like, "Well, make sure the birth center or whatever is near the hospital because there are always emergencies. When I..." and they go on to tell me their experience. I'm glad for both groups of friends. I'm thankful that I have friends who care and share their knowledge and experiences with me. I'm glad they share and then give me the freedom to make my own decision without judgment.

How am I feeling? I pretty much have constant nausea. Most of the time it's not bad; it's just there. When I gets bad, I just close my eyes, take sips of water and think of anything other than hamburgers. I craved those for about a week, but the thought of them now almost sends me running to the bathroom. Please don't talk about or eat them around me. Cravings - haven't had them like a wild-woman, but when a craving hits, it hits hard. Nathan's been so nice about going out at odd times to get me stuff.

So now that we're kinda getting back in the groove of things, I can attempt to blog more regularly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I craved cheeseburgers from the dollar menu constantly during my pregnancy with Charis. I think I gained like 60 pounds!
Every time I got some change I headed to McD's (and this is extremely out of character for me!!!), and I would drive around while I ate it so that Arwen wouldn't know and want some. I drew the line at feeding the stuff to my already born kid, anyway. LOL!

Susy said...

I laughed as I ran to the kitchen to think of anything other than the B word. 60 lbs is awesome. I'm pretty sure I've already gained 7-10, and it's WAY too early for that. And is this bloatedness gonna last forever??

Blessed Mamma said...

Susy, CONGRATULATIONS!

And you make me feel great because I've probably gained more than the suggested four pounds for the first trimester too! ;)