Wednesday, October 22, 2008

They Deserve Cookies

So Mom has walked quite a number of times today. Around 6:30 this evening she also had her first solid meal. It wasn't a steak or anything like that, but so far so good. No nausea, no vomiting. Good stuff. Not just that, but she's moving around really, really well. I'm thankful.

Our experience at MD Anderson has been a very positive one, and I attribute that to the staff. I've said it before, they have been wonderful (all except for the crazies on the 4th floor). Tonight one of her nurses from her last surgery came in because she saw her name on something and just wanted to see how she was doing. This is a nurse that Mom and I talk about often because she was so great. She came and gave my mom this big hug and seemed so genuinely happy to see her and to see her doing so well. How nice is that?! Oh, and yesterday while she was still in the recovery area, the nurse that attended her in the ICU during her last surgery came to check on her. He, too, was one of our favorites. It takes a gifted, yes, gifted man to care for patients the way a woman would. Women are naturally nurturing so we sometimes wonder how it'll be with the males. No complaints. Some are more nurturing than others, but they've all been great.

Okay so the one thing that's a lil concerning to me right now is my mom's incision site area thing. I call it that because it's not really a cut, but it's where ...they put her back together. Anyway, they didn't staple it because it's what they consider a contaminated area (it's where the ileostomy was draining). They only sowed it shut with what looks like just 2 really big stitches. It's more swollen now than it was yesterday, and the nurses have said it's fine. Mom's temperature is just steadily climbing, and so of course, I wonder if something is developing there. They don't consider anything a fever until it hits like 101, and she's only at 99.4. When we were here during the other hospitalizations, low-grade fevers didn't concern me. Today, this paranoid daughter just wonders...and prays. Yes, sometimes these temps are because the body is going through abnormal trauma, etc. I know. I just wonder. Yes, they're keeping an eye on it...

...as they do all other things. Again, I'm thankful for the great care my mom has received here. I've heard and seen terrible things from other places, and I'm just glad that with all the setbacks we've seen, that my mom's doctors and nurses have been so understanding, attentive, and just plain nice.

No comments: