Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Empty Room

Good news - last night Mom had forward progress, and we had a good night...except when the commotion took place next door. The nursing asst had just left the room from doing vitals signs, and we were getting back to sleep when at 4:20 a.m. we hear things drop next door and nurses raise their voices commanding others to do this and that and get this and that and page such and such doctor...and then I heard, "Start CPR!" I tried to close my ears. I heard doctors in and out and within 30 minutes they were wheeling someone from their room. I couldn't sleep anymore. Around 7 one of mom's doctors came in to check on her, and when he left I finally had the guts to go down the hall to fill my cup with water. I realized that both of the people on either side of our room were gone. One room was being thoroughly cleaned the way they do when a patient is released. The other room still had belongings in it. A couple of hours later, the gentleman with belongings in his room was back in his bed.

You know, you (we) try to mind our own business here. We never like to stare into people's rooms if the door is open. Sometimes, though, you just can't help but glance. These days I don't really pay much attention to the other rooms. Yesterday, however, the lady from the room next door made it a point to greet us, smile, and make positive comments. It was nice. When I heard the commotion, I couldn't help but think of her. Her husband is now back in his room. But the other room is empty.

We hadn't experienced anything like that in our time here. We're now on one of the 'heart floors.' I think that means these are people with some kind of heart cancer. I didn't like the sound of all that commotion without knowing what was happening.

So back to my mom - in spite of the restless hours, she had BMs this morning, and she's holding liquids down. I ordered her a drink that's supposed to be sort of a meal supplement. Months ago she couldn't stand the taste. Today she can handle a few sips here and there. She knows she needs the nutrition and doesn't want to go the TPN route again. She was asking for food this morning, so let's see what the doc says about moving to that this evening or tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Anya said...

Susy, I can feel ya' on the whole not wanting to look into other people's rooms but wondering what is going on in there. When we are on the peds floor, I just want to go in each room and give some lovin' to each kid and their parents.

One time, I just couldn't help but look in the room. We were on the peds ICU floor and there was a room full of adults crying. At that moment, I realized just how blessed we were, how blessed I was that regardless of how hard things were and would be, that we still had our little Anya. This has been a long road, but I thank God that He has spared Anya's life. Glory to Him!