Monday, July 30, 2007

Peace on Earth

So as I was reading my Biblia the other day, I came upon a verse that caught my attention like never before. Psalm 34:14 says, “Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.”

I've read this Psalm at least several dozen times, but never before has the second part of it hit me the way it did recently - seek peace and pursue it.

I then did a little more research and found a few other verses that speak of seeking after or pursuing peace:

Romans 14:19 – Therefore, let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another.
Romans 12:18 – If it is possible, as much as depends on you(emphasis mine), live peaceably with all men.
Hebrews 12:14 – Pursue peace with all people and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.
2 Tim. 2:22 – Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart

Because God has called us to pursue peace, I’m not only to desire peace with my fellow brother, but I am to seek it, pursue it, and do whatever is in my power to live at peace with all men.

Pursuing peace with all people – not sitting idly on a situation, but chasing reconciliation with all men (especially those with whom I have offense).

In the past if I had any ‘issues’ with people, a lot of the times I would just try to ignore the problem, hoping it would just go away. It never really worked, though. Even if it was years later, God always had a way of unfolding the situation and reminding me of Matthew 5:23-24 – “Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.”

Simple right? For most people this may not be a challenge, but to Susy it used to be pretty difficult. Why? Well, simply put I can be very selfish and proud – the stems of most evil.

When I’ve been hurt in the past, it has often taken me a while to get over it. My pride allowed bitterness to creep in and steal the peace between myself and the other party. In some cases the other person wasn’t even aware that they had offended me. Then if I encountered that person, oh, I would just have this way of making things seem totally uncomfortable. Ever been on the receiving end of that? Or worse, have you been a Susy? It’s a terrible way to manipulate people and situations, and I’m certainly not proud that I have ever done this. I’m not saying that the hurts were imagined or that the offenses weren’t valid. Feelings, though fickle, are valid because they are ours. My feelings were valid, but I failed to confront situations the right way.

The better way -

do whatever is in your power to pursue peace by communicating the offense, choosing to forgive whether or not an apology is given, and giving way not to bitterness and resentment (which only hold us captive) but to love and peace.

No comments: