Thursday, July 05, 2007

I'm Co-Co Nuts


All oils are not created equal. You probably know that by now because the word is finally getting out there. Trans fats are the enemy. They're formed when oils are hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated - heated at such high temps that the molecular structure is changed. The oils is more stable, but it's detrimental to the human body. They lower the good cholesterol and damage our arteries, leading to clogged arteries. Did you know that vegetable oils are somehow emulsified with water and given to organ-transplant patients to suppress their immune system? That's right - they suppress the immune system and skew the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. These oils contribute to thyroid problems. So, a great thing to do is completely eliminate (or at least reduce) the intake of ALL vegetable oils (corn, safflower, sunflower, canola, sesame, MARGARINE, vegetable shortening, etc.).

Olive oil is a great alternative to these oils; HOWEVER, its drawback is that it is susceptible to damage when it is cooked. Some of the nutrition is less effective when heated. So I use olive oil on salads or...things.

When it comes to cooking, I've been using coconut oil for a little over a year now. Coconut oil is the ONLY oil that is not damaged by cooking at higher temperatures (it remains stable at high temps). Coconut oil is GOOD-FOR-YOU saturated fat. It helps prevent and sometimes even help cure some illnesses and diseases. Though it's a saturated fat, it actually helps weight loss because it raises the metabolic rate, causing us to burn more calories. From what I understand, fats are stored in the body's cells. Coconut oil fatty acids, however, are sent immediately to the liver where it is turned into energy.

Imagine an oil that is GOOD for you! Yep, coconut oil can help regulate blood sugar and can act as an anti-inflammatory. I've heard of people even applying it directly on their skin to help protect against free radicals.

I'm not a big fan of coconuts. In fact, I don't really care for them much at all. I wish I did because they are soooooo good for you. So when it came to cooking I was quite hesitant to use it. At first I could definitely taste it in my eggs or some of the veggies I lightly sauteed. Because I don't like coconut, it took getting used to tasting it in random food. I have now become accustomed to its taste and don't really mind it at all.

The important thing is to get a good quality brand of virgin coconut oil. I have researched and tried a couple of brands, so email me if you're interested.

Oh, if you're looking for it in the store, don't bet on wally-world. I have yet to find it there or Target. Health food stores carry it, but it's usually not in the oil section. I typically find it in the supplement isle of the health food stores. It's a white solid at room temperature that liquefies when heated.

3 comments:

Chrystal said...

Loving all the great health and nutrition info. You do a great job of digesting it and passing it along to others in an understandable way. Keep is coming!

Scoundrel said...

Excellent post on coconut oil. You may make me skinnier yet. Now where is that piece of Tres Leches I had sitting around here?

Susy said...

yummm - tres leches. i haven't had that in a while, but i do need to make it one of these days...on one of my indulge-in-whatever-i-want days.