Saturday, November 11, 2006

Silly People=Silly Comments

So a couple of weeks ago I was telling this acquaintance about my desire and passion to raise God-fearing children. I can’t wait until I have lil’ Poffinbarger babies running around to train in the ways of the Lord. I really do have a passion for my family. So I was sharing with this acquaintance how I get excited thinking about serving God in serving my family and staying home with my kids (when they come). This um...person has the audacity to say, “I don’t see you doing that. I don’t see you being a mother, and I definitely don’t see you staying home. It’s not you…can’t do it…etc.”

Uh, so who made her God? Who is she to say that motherhood isn’t for me? I don’t really care to be stereotyped, and this particular one just rubbed me the wrong way? Why so much? I really took this personally I guess because it hurt. I’ve heard this from other people before, and it’s not cool. They don’t know me well enough to know how much I want to have children and be at home to raise them.

All they know of me is that I work and sometimes crazy hours. Yes, I work, but that’s because Nathan & I are in a season during which I have to, and the great thing is that it’s all a part of God’s plan for us. He knows where He’s taking us, and this is what He’s chosen for us for this season. What’s also great is that our loving Father God has always put me with great people with whom to work and great jobs that I’ve enjoyed. The last season was in preparation for this one, and this one is preparation for the next. None of it is by accident, and so I’m content with what He’s doing.

Do I always want to be here? No. That’s why this is just a season. This too shall pass, and I’m just glad I can enjoy it.

So the next time anyone wants to tell me what I can or cannot do, maybe I should recommend they leave that up to God since He is ultimately the One who knows. Amen.

1 comment:

lindsayloo said...

oh, wow... hmmm. that was such an insensitive thing to say!!! I think I would have completely handled that poorly!!