Wednesday, November 08, 2006

In Spite of Socks

You know how we all have innocent habits that may drive other people crazy without our knowledge that it drives them crazy? With husbands and wives this can be the topic of many heated discussions. Several years ago, a very dear friend told me about an incident between she and her husband that began with a little habit of his. He had this habit of taking off his socks and leaving them in a certain place on the floor almost every single day. It drove wife crazy, but husband had no clue.



One day, she kindly asked him to, "Please be more mindful of where the socks are left." He was more mindful for a few days and would leave his socks elsewhere, but by the end of that week, they were back where they had previously made their home.

This time it was personal. She explodes, "I've asked you to take the socks from this place and put them in the bedroom! What is it going to take?!"

Husband responds, "I am so sorry. I didn't realize this meant so much to you. I will make it a point to be more mindful of it."

However, he adds, "BUT let me ask you a question - what if I never change? What if I keep doing this over and over and over? Will you still love me the same?"

Where did that come from? Over a pair of socks? She was puzzled by the question, but it really made her think.

That phrase comes to mind often. It almost haunts me. Many times when my husband and I are discussing habits or the like, I remember those words, "What if I never change? Will you still love me the same?"

Well, am I supposed to? What does the Bible say about a wife loving her husband? So I go look it up. That doesn't help my cause. What does the Bible say about loving other people. Oh - that doesn't help my cause much at all either. Isn't there a stipulation somewhere in the Bible that gives me the freedom to love my husband conditionally? I mean, what if he doesn't do the things he's 'supposed' to do? What if he doesn't fulfill certain aspects of his role? Can I love him based on his peformance?

Fortunately God didn't ask for my help when writing the Bible because I'd be in trouble. If God loved and accepted me by how I perform and by how well I do, He wouldn't be able to love me much because I don't measure up to His standards. I have fallen short and will continue to fall short of what He would require.

His love and acceptance, though, have nothing to do with what I have or haven't done. When He sees me, he doesn't look at my shortcomings and say, "Well, today you messed up here, here and there, so I'll love you a little more today than yesterday because yesterday was a real bad day for ya." God's love is everlasting and complete. He loves me today the same as He did yesterday and the same as He'll love me tomorrow. I never have to work for it, and I never have to measure up.

Jesus' life and death have given me access to the Father's inexhaustible supply of love regardless of my failures. When God looks upon me, He sees Jesus righteousness. He delights in me and is absolutely crazy about me...no matter where I leave my socks.

No comments: