Saturday, July 04, 2009

A Time for Everything

You know, there are things we take for granted all the time. Most of the time it's people. We don't realize how much we like having them around until they're not around for whatever reason.

We may also take our health for granted, food, etc. Something I continue to appreciate and hope to never take for granted are blinkers and horns. You know blinkers - the ones in our cars that we're supposed to use when turning or changing lanes. Seriously, they were placed in our vehicles for a reason - to be used. A right turn deserves a right signal, and a left turn deserves a left signal. Changing lanes also calls for using a signal. Please use them and quit annoying the stink out of everyone. Oh, and after you've changed lanes, turn it off. Turn the blinker/signal light off. That little noise in your car should be a reminder, but apparently it doesn't annoy everyone as much as me. So just turn it off. What turns on must also turn off.

As for car horns - there's a time to use them and a time not to use them. The time not to use them is when you drive up to someone's home, and you're waiting for person to come outside. Unless it's an emergency, there's really no need for that. It's rude, so stop it. It's also rude to drive up to a pregnant woman when she's entering her place of work, honk at her, and expect her to walk to your car to give you directions. Seriously? Next time I won't just tell you what I think about that, I'll tell you the way I played it in my head. I'm not cattle nor a dog that I need to be honked at to get my attention. Get out of your car if nothing else but for the exercise and ask for directions.

A time to use car horns - when the rude people in traffic won't let you in, seriously cut you off so that there's a near accident, and...well, there are many reasons. Use them. That's why cars were created with them. My favorite way of honking is the LONG honk. I don't just do the 'beep beep' thing. No, I'm one of those who presses her hand to the horn for a good 10 seconds (at least), until all of my frustration about the situation has been released. Then I go about my marry way.

P.S. On a lighter note, happy 4th.

2 comments:

Missi said...

Umm yeah. One time the mail person honked in my driveway for me to come get a package. Seriously? Yeah. I had just given birth like a few days before that too, and it was raining. And cold.

People get irritated with me for using my horn when I'm driving, but I firmly believe that one of the legitimate purposes of the horn is to let someone know you are about to run into them. LOL

Susy said...

agreed.