Sunday, November 02, 2008

Beckham

So back in September I did the annual hair-cutting thing. For years now I've let my hair grow as long as I could take it, and then I find someone I trust to do some kind of major cut. About four years ago, my stylist, Chip, encouraged me to begin donating it. My first batch was for him. He was an aspiring artist and had started an on-line hair school project thing. He was planning on making a wig and some paint-brushes from my hair. He had traveled the world and had pretty much done it all as a stylist but had this dream of teaching people REAL skills and doing this online. Unfortunately, Chip passed very unexpectedly and tragically before he was able to fulfill that dream.

After his passing, I thought it'd be kinda cool to take on the challenge of donating my hair and maybe every year. I don't just have thick hair, I have an insane amount of crazy thick hair that seems to grow twice as fast as anyone I know. I don't have anything to do with that. God made me that way. So why not give it to those who don't have it? We all have something we can give. Some have money, some have talents, I have hair.

Last year Locks of Love got my pony tail. This year, however, I've decided to send it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program, which makes wigs for women with breast cancer. This past year I've personally known 4 people who were diagnosed with some type of cancer.

Last year within a couple of weeks of donating my hair to Locks of Love, a good friend's little girl, Anya, was diagnosed with leukemia.

Last year in October, a very good friend and mentor of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Last year in December, my mom began tests for what they thought was very suspicious. January 2 of this year she was officially diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

In March of this year while my mom was finishing her first round of treatment, my childhood friend's mom was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer and immediately began her turn with chemo.

With the exception of my mom, the people I mentioned above all lost their hair during their treatments. Cancer is a yuck thing and so are its medical treatments. The last thing anybody should have to deal with is losing hair. That's where lovely hats and WIGS come in the picture. If you're reading this, you should totally consider growing out the hair and donating it. It's just hair, it'll grow back.

Here are some pictures from this year's donation.

Taken by my niece, Haley, about a month before the cut:
Photobucket
Photobucket

We had to do 2 ponies this year because of all the hair:
Photobucket

Not great but they'll work for now. Pics by my niece, Cara. In person the style is very Beckham...not necessarily intended, but I like.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: