Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Green Space Monster

You know that feeling you get when you think you've lost your wallet (or when you actually do lose it)? That's what I get when Nathan says, "I think the computer crashed..." You say, "But Susy, you're a pretty responsible person. I'm sure you have back ups."

Well, you'd think I would have learned that lesson years ago the first time I lost everything. And by everything I mean 3 really important things, or sets of things. I had been working on 2 different projects, manuals to be exact. I had been working on one of them for a good 6+ months, and it was something that I had promised someone. The other one was mainly for my purposes, but both were still pretty important to me. I had put hours of thought and application into these, and in one moment, they were gone. Okay, so maybe I could recapture most of the information and over time re-write them, but what I couldn't ever get back were the pictures I lost.

That was item number 3. But, as I'm sure you've figured out by now, it wasn't just one item. These were hundreds of pictures, hundreds of memories...now gone. This was exactly why I had been so reluctant to go digital. I knew something like this could happen, and it did.

So after that incident you think that I would have started some kind of back up system. Ugh. I can be such the procrastinator. My pictures are gone again, and I can't blame anyone but myself (and that little green guy). Sure, I could call Mr. Gates and find out why in the world his software isn't working. I could ask Nathan what in the world he did (or didn't do) to lose my stuff again. I could even try to blame mr. devil for ...keeping me distracted so that I wouldn't make the time to back up my stuff. But I can't. After the last crazy crash, I should have done something, but I didn't.

So now here I am - no pictures (except the ones in photobucket or the few in my jump drive), no files, nothing. I've recently started using an old portable computer (aka laptop). Note the keyword old. Because it's old and broken (the screen can hardly hold itself up), it runs like the first computer we owned back in 1989. Mr. Portable gets super upset if I try to run more than one program. Oh, and opening more than one tab in Firefox, oh, forget it. He has a cow and refuses to even function most of the time. At least it works, thought, right? Yes. And at least I can connect to write to you folks. But I definitely can't depend on him to store my stuff. I will not do that again. Beginning now I'm storing on a jump drive until I figure out what kind of back up system to use. I just know that this can't happen anymore.

What's the moral of this story? There is none. I just wanted to share about my computer frustrations and remind you to back yours up because you never know when it'll decide to blow.

Oh, and let me just say that I believe there are aliens (yes, I think they're green) running around blowing alien juice into computers and inserting locator microchips into our feet.

No comments: