Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm hanging Wonder Woman



Many little girls grow up dreaming about being gymnasts. They watch girls flip all over the floor and a 4w-inch wide beam while looking as graceful as a ballerina. I was no exception. From the time I can remember, I was glued to the television during the Olympics watching these girls. So I decided to give it a try. For a few years I took gymnastics and became eligible to compete in some competitions. During one competition, I wore a red, white, and blue outfit that earned me the nickname "Wonder Woman."

It was annoying at first - you know, the whole 10 year-old boys calling me names, but when I got older and the name had worn off, I began to miss the name. I wanted the name back because I think I started believing it. I started believing that I could be her - Wonder Woman.

One of the challenges of my personality is that I try to take on too much and have a difficult time saying no. I've known this since my teenage years, so I've made it a point to keep myself in 'check.' I mean, c'mon, wonder woman can do it all. Her name alone says that. She can save the world while still put on a pretty face. She's Wonder Woman.

I think I have come to realize for REAL that I AM NOT. I would always tell people that I knew I wasn't. I would even tell them that because I was aware that I had the tendency to take the world on, that I wouldn't - that I knew how to keep myself in check. But even that was my Wonder Woman act.

So here I am today, sharing with you that though an inkling of me may want to be Wonder Woman still, I can finally admit to myself and to you that I am not. I fail, I fall, and I make mistakes. Oh, and most importantly, I can't do it all. God has reserved that exclusively for heaven. So I'll wait patiently for my cape.

No comments: