Tuesday, February 09, 2010

If I Could Turn Back Time

I'm up against the clock here, folks. Well, since Xander, I always feel like I'm up against the clock. Nathan has asked me why I stress over time. I think I was built to be on a schedule, multi-tasking, getting things done, fixing, doing, going, doing. I get to be home with my baby boy. What's the rush? Well, he's not a sleeper. The kid just plain doesn't like to sleep. During our night feedings, he always looks towards the window to see if there's light coming through it, his cue not to go back to sleep. What will I do when the sun starts coming up at 6 a.m.? Anyway, he's asleep now, and it's the first time in days I've been able to get my lappy to open a program in less than 2 minutes. Something's broken. Ugh. Oh and our DVD player is broken as well.

Moving on. So recently someone asked me something about being a new mom. What's the biggest challenge? Hmmmm...is it Xander's sleeplessness or being against the clock when it comes to dinner? Has it changed our marriage? Hmmm...hadn't thought about that but yes, I would say for the better. What's the biggest surprise? Easy - the lack of support and mutual respect from other mothers. Wha???

I have found so much negativity and almost disrespect in the world of motherhood. Instead of moms encouraging each other and respecting others' decisions about how they raise their children, there's lots of criticism. And it stinks.

Just recently my friend was attacked about her decision not to vaccinate her children. A funny comment she made turned into a 'fight' via Facebook. It wasn't just another mother sharing her thoughts. This girl got completely critical and rude. She wasn't out to make people think, etc. She was out to be rude, and you could tell. And it ticked me off when I finished reading all of her comments.

I love what Missi had to say about it. Read about it here.

We all make decisions about our lives that others may or may not agree with. Moral of the story? God has given each of us that responsibility, and when it comes to our kids, most of us don't take it lightly. So, instead of criticism, let's respect each other. Yes, there's a place for discussion, but the rude stuff...uh-uh. Something I try to remember - unsolicited advice can be seen as criticism. Amen.

2 comments:

THE Princess Bombshell* said...

I hope you feel you get support and respect from me...!!! ;-)

Susy said...

Absolutely.