Thursday, March 06, 2008

Update 3/6/08

It's just before 11, and here we sit, lay, and rest. Yesterday was a great day. It was a very long day, but it was great nonetheless. My mom had a doctor's appointment in the morning, so we headed out and finished up with that and bloodwork just before noon. On our way out, my mom wanted to stop at the hospital cafeteria to get some Chick-fil-a nuggets - crazy, huh?! She hasn't really had much of an appetite so that was music to my ears. She only ate a couple of them, but that was okay. I think the grease and honey mustard got to the sores she's now getting in her mouth. I could tell she was getting tired so we headed home.

We had a few hours before her last treatment, so she laid down for a nap. Upon waking, though, she had a fever, and although it was a low-grade fever, we needed to let the doctor know. There was a bit of miscommunication, and they thought she had a 103 fever, so we rushed over. After realizing it wasn't so high, they let us know what to do in the future.

On our way to the radiation area, she was surprised by some of the family who showed up to celebrate her last treatment with us. The biggest surprise was my aunt Estrella, who recently had her stroke. Their family is actually moving down from Oklahoma, and my uncle brought her to see my mom for the first time since the stroke. It was awesome! I'll post pics of their reunion soon.

So she did her last treatment and rang the bell. She still had some fever from earlier, but from the excitement, I don't think it was really bothering her. What a great moment for all of us.

Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the day for us. My mom still had to get some fluids through IV so off we went. By the time we finished all of that, it was nearly 10, and my poor mom was exhausted. We still had to travel from one building to the other, wait for the car and drive home. At least the valet people kept us laughing. It's been good to see my mom smile and hear her laugh. After a terrible week (last week), it's very relieving and such a joy to see her smile.

We have doctors' appointments tomorrow and Monday. We will continue to stay in Houston at least through next week so that we can be near the hospital for the appointments and in the case my mom should need to visit for any reason. We expect the side effects to come to a peak in the next few days but then to subside little by little.

This morning my mom had a little fever, but it has since gone, and we are going to take it nice and easy today. For breakfast I got a little creative in making a peach smoothie for her. She's still limited in what she eats, and fresh fruits are out, but that's where creativity comes in...not something I'm a natural with, but at least it came this morning. I added a little protein powder to it, and she ended up drinking the entire thing!

I know the battle isn't nearly over, but I'm grateful for the victories we've had already. For a while, every day may continue to be a fight. I know, though, that He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. The victory is already ours, and we're just walking in His grace according to His will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Susy, it is so good to hear you smile as you write as well as hear about your mothers smiling. I am also greatful to GOD ALMIGHT for his GRACE to us all and especially to you my dear one.
I understand that you will be moving from Kansas and back to the home country. This is a sad thing for us I do miss you even now. But you know I understand wanting and needing to be clost to your mother in times like these. I once left Texas to come back to be with my Dad, so I know, I know. As I think of it it is hard to see those you love have to go thur trying times like these.
I must go for now it seems to be raining in my room and its hard to see. Be well and of good cheer my child, kiss your mother on the cheek for me. We love you and GOD LOVES you.
Dad

Anonymous said...

i was finally able to catch up on your blogs today, and not just keep up with texts. (thanks so much for sending them to us though ... we really do pray.) i love you so much susy & i'm just heartbroken for you and your Mom ... but i am also tremendously hopeful in Jesus and what He can do in the midst of this unrelenting storm. my prayer for you today is that you will find a window of opportunity to "steal away" and allow yourself you be "weak" in the arms of your Father. you are an amazingly strong woman but my heart is interceding for you today ... that you would become weak in His arms and be on the receiving end of His love.
all our love & prayers,
lisa frith