Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Update 3.19.08

Sunday - Mom progressively felt worse

Monday - We couldn't manage Mom's pain. We paged the doctor several times and ended up at the ER when his directives weren't working.

They admitted her and began the testing.

So far this is what we know - the scan showed 'obstructions' in the loops of her intestine, the obstructions being the inflammation and the tumor. She had a 'pic' (sp?) line put in her arm for nutrition and will have it until after the surgery. At first they said no to food, then they changed their minds to allow soft, bland foods, but they may change their minds again. They seemed to have managed her pain so far, and that's awesome news. The swelling in her body is still there, but it seems to be getting a little better.

Yesterday with all the drama, our AMAZING family showed up. Almost all of the brothers and sisters who live nearby came to help as well as my brother, and it was such a relief to me. They booted me out and are taking turns staying with her through out the day. I was becoming quite the emotional mess lately so it's a good thing for me to get away as hard as it is to leave my mom. I didn't want to leave, but I know I can't be much help to my mom if I'm not strong myself. It's hard for me to watch people in pain...and my mom...seeing her that way is almost unbearable sometimes.

So I heard that Mom had a pretty good night once her pain was managed. They sedated her in order to put in the pic line, and the family says she's doing okay.

I'm so very thankful for a family who pulls together and pitches in when we most need it. Thank you guys so very much! Last night there were like over 10 people in one little itty bitty room...but you know what? It was strength to my mom to see her brothers, sisters, and her kids right there with her. She's still thinking of others instead of herself - meaning she asked them all to make sure I was okay and to take care of me yada, yada - just like her.

So I'm sorry I haven't updated this, but I just haven't been able to do it the past couple of days.

Thank you all for your prayers, emails, text messages. They encourage me more than you know. If I don't answer my phone, it's only because I'm on it, away from it, or I just can't at the time.

I'll try to post some specific prayer requests soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Susy,
Receive this word as your own:
"Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth. Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the Lord, and my judgment is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? Hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neithr is weary? There is no searching of his understanding.
He giveth power tho the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40: 26-31

As I read this scripture about God's mighty power and strength, I thought I would pass it along. We so need the Lord to help us. I'm thankful for this promise; so I wait.
Much love and prayers for you all.
Aleda

Christine said...

Susy, I'm so happy to hear that your awesome family is there to help. You are absolutly right in that you can't be much of a help to your mom if you aren't strong. Watching our loved ones go through chemo/treatment is positivly the worst torture ever. When dad was going through an ordeal similar to yours he wanted candy bars. Doctors didn't want him to have the candy but I got some for him anyway! One night very late I decided to go visit; lights were off, door was partially closed, and when I stood at the doorway to see if I could hear anything I heard paper crunching. I said "Dad are you up" I startled him to be visiting so late and I caught him eating lots of candybars in the dark! We laghed and it's a memory I'll cherish forever!
Is there a massage therapist you could schedule an appointment with? It would be great for you to get a little pampering so you can stay reved up.
Keep your faith......