Wednesday, March 02, 2016

The Secret of Joy



The secret of joy is Isabelle not attempting to rip tabs out of my Bible. Okay, maybe not.

About two weeks ago this quote popped up in my Insta feed, and  I've been soaking in it ever since.

"The secret of joy is Christ in me, not me in different circumstances." Elisabeth Elliot

I was so crazy irritated and mad struggling with accepting some situations, and even more so with having joy because things that aren't should be or things that shouldn't be are. Does that make sense? I'm so much a realist, but I also have major ideals, dreams and vision of what can be...but just aren't right now.

This season of life brings limitations that can seriously frustrate me and sometimes even leave me questioning (and no, I'm not talking about young kids). That frustration can turn into discouragement and sadness. If left undealt with, bitterness and resentment are rather sneaky and can attach themselves to my heart quickly. I've been there. Rather than focusing on the very real limitations, I want to be found here - with joy, not pretending the limitations don't exist; they do, but I don't have to be bound by them. That's where a lurking enemy would like me stuck - living and responding out of doubt, hopelessness and discouragement. 

Rather than focus on the limitations, I want to focus on Jesus and what He can do in my heart during this time. If I trust that He has a purpose for my life, I can trust Him in this very season. He knows the limitations and even has purpose for me in seasons and days of limitations... because every season will have its limitations. I can choose to own the attitudes of my heart in this life I've been given, or I can sulk and throw pity parties. 

The key to it: being in His presence - His Word and prayer - Every. Single. Day. Humanistic efforts at joy, contentment and peace only get me so far. In His Word I find purpose, opportunities (rather than limits) and JOY. Even when Isabelle rips my Bible pages. 

"These things I've spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full," John 15:11. In His presence.


No comments: