Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Again the Food Snob - Water

I think it was my brother who first called me a food snob. I was going to spend about a week with him and his family, and I took some of my own food. Now, just so you don't completely write off my tact, I don't typically take my own food when I go to someone else's house, whether it be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just for fun. I will eat whatever the host is making period. And I enjoy it completely. HOWEVER, if I plan on spending more than a few days wherever I am, I will probably take a few things that to me are almost essential.

I don't drink homogenized or pasteurized cow's milk. I just don't. I gave it up years ago, and I don't miss it a bit. I make sure I get my vitamin D through sunshine and my diet. The same with calcium. These are some of the reasons. I had some a couple of times after Xander was born, and I realized more the reason why I'll continue to stay away from it - a large percentage of babies can't tolerate cow's milk protein. What's crazy is that many breastfeeding moms are told by their babies' pediatricians that their babies are lactose intolerant when in reality it's probably a food sensitivity and very likely it could have something to do with the mom drinking cow's milk. But instead of recommending an elimination diet, doctors too often place the baby on formula. Sometimes very expensive prescription formula, and baby has to miss out on the amazingness of breast milk.

But moving on.

So because I don't drink cow's milk, and most Americans don't get raw milk from the farm down the road, I take my own almond milk if I think I'm going to need milk at all.

I may also take my own sprouted bread. Most Americans have now bought into the 'whole grain' thing. Whole grains are great if they're not overprocessed and overkilled. When allowed to sprout, they're great. But most people don't know about this, and so in order not to jam my system with bread my body can't process well, I take my own if I plan to be there more than a day or two.

Those are a couple of the main things I'll take with me when spending several days away from home. It was during one of those trips to see my brother and his family that they looked at me like I was sticking up my nose at them, and my brother said something about, "...so you're stuck up about what you eat? you're a snob about it?..." And that's what he called me for a while - a food snob. I don't know if my family understand why I do what I do, but at least they don't get offended by it. By now they're used to me.

So recently a couple of people asked me how it is that I eat, what I eat, and how I stay healthy (for the most part). One friend specifically wanted to know how I lost my 'baby weight' so quickly after having Xander.

Little by little I'm going to blog about our family's eating habits. But to start with, read my friend, Missi's blog. I've referenced this blog because it's pretty much how we eat in our home. There are things I don't follow and other things I do that she doesn't, but all in all, it's a great article on how to begin eating well.

So if you want to do one thing today, here's something to do - drink water. Stop drinking sodas and sugar-laden fruit juices and drink water. Drink water, drink water, drink water.

1 comment:

Missi said...

WOOOOOOHOOOO for WATER!