Friday, July 02, 2010

Funky Town

On one side of our family, we have lots of kids of all kinds and ages. On the other side, there are few and mainly boys...well the ones who are around. Recently one family member from the all boys side was saying to me,"Xander's great, but we're still waiting for our girl." This is said to me maybe every month or two, and by this time I'm just really annoyed with it. So rather than gracefully and tactfully shrug it off or respond with, "well, maybe next time," I snap back with, "Well, isn't that just how we all are - ungrateful and dissatisfied with what God gives us?" And I walked away.

And right away I had to point the finger right back at myself.

How often have I wanted more when I have everything I could need and then some? I notice that gratitude has been a recurring theme in my latest blogs. Hmmm. I always thoght I was a pretty grateful person, but it seems the older I get, the easier it is to complain. Not good.

I'll be honest people - it's easy to complain when I'm in Kansas. I just sent someone a text earlier that said "I hate Kansas." Why all this hate? There's good here. Really, there is. And if I really think about it, could it be that I am here for "such a time as this?" I'm not trying to be deep here but maybe just have a little more perspective and appreciation for the situation.

So...with that, thanks, Jesus, for a land of nothing (Kansas) that you can make something out of for us.

Ok, but are all country people this unsociable? Really?

3 comments:

THE Princess Bombshell* said...

Yeah, I don't want you to grow old being one of those negative and bitter old ladies.

So, yeah, nip it in the bud.

<3

Liz said...

Susy, this is so crazy bc it's something that last monday God started to work in me too! I was going through my daughters socks from last winter and He just simply said 'You have so much and are so blessed' And then I started to look around and I do! But o how it's so easy to want more! A great quote I've been chewing on is "According to America's standards we are not wealthy, but according to the world's standards we are" You are considered in the top 3% wealthy people if you own one car! Wow eye opener! sorry so long, just I totally hear you!!

Susy said...

Mrs. Bombshell - bitter, old people are funny, though, so as long as I could make someone laugh... :)

Liz - yes, I think about that all the time - we are very wealthy people. How can we ever complain? And we're healthy. I never want to take that for granted either. Health and wealth - so much.